Saturday, July 25, 2009

It 26th July 2008, the last Saturday of the month (just like today)

At 11am as usual, the guys will be preparing for the weekend business, the preparation work and operation varies slightly from weekdays. Weekends normally expect more crowds in our business.

Siong, looked tired and lethargic, which is not his usual self and keep to himself.

Simon showing his concern “Siong, you ok?”…A shrug of his shoulder was the reply Simon received. These guys spent 12 hours a day, six days a week, it very common that if they can simply read one another behaviour.

About 2pm, there was slight conflict in work issues and sensing something amiss, Simon highlighted to me. Since Siong was involved and suspecting he could be still holding a grudge for not approving his leave. I decided to have a talk with him.

In work, it always easier to manage outsider than family members and avoiding the issue will only aggravate it. Nevertheless, I took the task and playing a role of a brother and a boss.

Both of us lighted up a cigarette to ease any tensions, I decide to go soft “Siong, what happened?” He kept silent.

I persisted “You have to relate to me your side of story before we can go further…”

Silent again.

The talk was not going anywhere, I decided to emphasis on my points “ Siong, I know you still angry with me not letting you off today, but you had to understand that………”

“ I know lah !...” interrupting before I could finished.

In a very impatient manner, from the work issue it shift to a personal performance I talk to him. My approach was firm, decisive yet re-affirmed his ability and hopefully he see it himself. Ultimately, I gave him a choice of his own whether he wants to continued.

Suddenly he burst into tears…“Kor, what choice I have! I’m poor with my languages! I’m not highly educated…Kor you know or not!”... in his breaking voice and choking back on his tears.

My hearts broke in pain, My tears streamed in sadness.

My dear brother had been feeling inferior, he felt left out. Even being outstanding in sports and work, he felt he was lesser in terms of academics. Never did I know he felt so much for his academic performance till that day, as his peers and colleagues even sis and I were quite similar in terms of academics. We were complacent, totally.

Always, we take things for granted. In life, at times we are so concerned and sensitive in everybody’s feeling. From our friends, our colleagues to our superior etc….but what bout our loved ones, our family……..There’s no regrets nor any ‘If only’…there’s only compassion sentiments for this young boy who too had dreams like you and me.

For us, we are still striving for our goals,
For Siong, he left the world without achieving his objective……

Siong,I keep my FAITH in GOD that you had achieved more than all of us now being in the Kingdom of HIM....everlasting...


Kor Kor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home