Sunday, July 26, 2009

After the scan, they ushered me to the ICU where Siong was. I met up with the neurosurgeon, he echoed Dr Chua's words...in further details, confirming my worst fears.

They will constantly monitored Siong condition and provide full life-saving medical support, till he can self-sustain since he's young, BUT if it reached a point where it exceed the limit, then it will be soley on his own determination and will.

In other words, is the doctors telling me 'it just a matter of time".....

The next difficult task was breaking the updates and situation to Pa, Ma and Jie who had been waiting at the general area...

As i approached them, i told myself there's no need to paint a good picture, eventually they will know.....Mum rushed to me, "Can see him? He can talk or not?....Sis interrupting 'How's Siong, we go and see him now?'...Dad only gave me blank stare....

Gathering all of them with Uncle Eddie, Aunt Jane (and family), I calmly " OK..." pause for couple of seconds, i continued "Pa, Ma...Siong Siong will not make it, it any time...."

You could imagine what next.......the pain of a parent bring up a child, seeing him hurt and worse....death. I fully be with my Dad & Mum, since i'm a parent myself.....

We kept by his bedside, talking to him, the words, the feeling that everyone had for him was touching and he would had felt loved..from friends of all walks of life, relatives..everyone just start streaming in...

Too, everyone left with tears and sadness.

The 1st sign of failure was about 6pm, team of doctors and nurses rushed in to salvage the situation when his blood pressure dropped.

Father Joseph came in at about 9pm.Fr Jo was kind and nice enough even when i told him about our family religion background.

Fr Jo with a low and convincing tone.." Shawn may not know Christ, should he done good to his brothers and sisters (fellow humans), he will be there with HIM, just like the Sheep & Goats (in Bible)" ...

"Thanks Father" acknowledging him

Without any hesitation, Fr continued " Let's do our part, and leave the rest to GOD..."
Fr Jo gave a prayer and baptised Siong even there were some controversy issue over Siong baptism.

The night fell deeper, I ask Dad & Mum to go back and rest. Wife left too, as baby was at home.

In the ICU ward left SIong and me, I want to spend the night with him, sensing that he may go any time, i want to cherish the last moments. We 'talked' through the night, "talked" about those days he was young and i will bring him roam the streets with tamiya cars, football and how he always get into trouble during NS, and i "talked' about my complaint about him....

It was a 'talk' that only i was doing, he 'talk' with his tears flowing down......it was sensational, did he really heard me?

I was sobbing, at the same time i asked Siong " If it your will to fight on, go ahead. don't hold back any limits, don't worry about the bills, the care, the burden, i will handle, But if you think you prefer to go, too don't worry, Kor will take care of the family"

Siong made his choice. At 8am, while i was taking my breakfast in the same building, the nurse called as the neurosurgeon wanted to update me. He said " We had reached the limit of the dosage but it seems his blood-pressure keep plunging. Whether he can make it will really depend on himself, if not he will not make it by today"

I wanted to scream and whack the surgeon, but it no fault of his.

Throughout the day, everyone came and gave their last words, their last touch.

We watch helplessly as he was slipping away from life slowly, the plunge in BP, and finally his life was ceased at 10.35pm.........28 July 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home